Wednesday, August 4, 2010

You're So Sweet - Mojo Monday Week 150

I had time to play along with the Mojo Monday sketch for this week.  I was in the process of cleaning up my crafting space, and as I was sorting things, I discovered these pink lilies with black polka dots. I have had them for ages, and I decided that I would use pink, black, and white as the color scheme for my card so that I could finally use them up. The sentiment comes from the Verve set “Thankful Accents.” I cut it out with my Nestabilities, embossed it, and then sponged the center with SU! Pixie Pink while I kept the die in place to maintain the white border. I used additional Nesties to layer it.

I had also just gone through my buttons, and I found these two black ones that had some sparkle to them that I thought would work. They aren’t matching which is a big leap for me! These buttons are old; they are from my grandma’s button stash. I can remember sorting through these buttons as a child! I discovered that a few of the sparkles were missing, so I added adhesive backed rhinestones that I’d picked up at Michael’s to fill in the missing ones. The sizes are ever so slightly different and they shine a little differently, but it is a pretty close replacement. The buttons are glued to a piece of black satin ribbon.  The leaves are done with a Martha Stewart punch and then lightly inked on the edges with Vintage Photo Distress Ink. 

Tip: to make the V-shaped ends, fold the ribbon in half and cut at a 45° angle. Try to just gently fold the ribbon just enough to be able to evenly cut it. I try to avoid making a crease in the ribbon as I think satin looks most elegant when it is not wrinkled or creased.

The edging at the bottom was done using a Martha Stewart doily lace punch. The the upper right hand corner looked a little bit bare, so I decided to add some bling! I had some fairly small swirly rhinestone designs (Recollections – found at Michael’s), but they were still too big for the space. So I reconfigured the lower left hand corner of the bling to make it fit in my available space. I kept the design on the plastic backing and just cut it apart in a couple of places to make sure it would fit before I took off the backing. Once these things are attached to the paper, they are not going to be removed and repositioned without making a mess out of the paper.

Last, I'd like to share how I finished the inside of my card.  I used black as the card base, so I knew that I needed something lighter inside.  The finished card is 6 inches square, so I cut the pink panel at 5.75 inches and the white panel at 5.5 inches.  I used the same MS doily punch to add the edging like I did for the front of the card.

Thanks for stopping by my blog!  Have a great day!


  1. I just love this card. Gotta love black and pink :)

  2. this card is awesoome! I love the colors! awesome use of embellishments!

  3. This is fabulous! Love the colors, and that polka dot flower! Thanks for playing Mojo!


Thank you for your comments! I love hearing from you!